Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Bad Wrap

Aw, crap.  This morning I saw a headline that made me panic: "Get Rid of Plastic Wrap".  I mean, I did have an idea that it's not great for us or the landfill.  And I've not only stopped using any plastic in the microwave, but have also stopped using the microwave 90% of the time....but upon reading the article in question I realized many more of my plastic/aluminum sins.  PVC (polyvinyl chrloride) has the worst environmental problems of all plastics!  Apparently Glad Wrap and Saran Premium Wrap produce less dioxins, but are obviously still a major disposable threat to the environment.  Giving up plastic wrap and freezer baggies altogether would be so hard.  Impossibly.  But when I hear the words ~Hormone Disruptors~ I do have to think of my two boys getting boobies or not being able to have children of their own one day.

photo found at aboutmyplanet.com
Solution?  I'm going to try to hunt down some non-toxic wrap.  If it exists.  And I pledge to use actual containers even more (I like to store food in the fridge in a ceramic bowl with a plate on top, or in metal).  And I highly recommend reading the article--much of it you already know, but perhaps not all.  It's a good primer for detoxing your home and yourself, as Natasha Turner, ND (author of The Hormone Diet) urges us to do.  I think she has some good points.  And I bet mom agrees!

4 comments:

  1. I heard an interview quite a while ago with Dr. Helen Caldecott who said plastic wrap is "unstable" and that everyone should avoid eating any food that had touched it.
    The weird thing is that for so many years there was no such thing - when I was a kid we put a plate over a bowl for leftovers. Wrapped sandwiches in wax paper. But when I wanted to stop using plastic wrap I couldn't remember how we'd survived without it!
    Mara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if there are any effects to wearing this stuff on your face? :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j226hBF-qis

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG--you truly an uncontrollably laughing goofy mom!!!! Thanks for the link, Rachel! The first couple of minutes is a gut-buster...don't let Helen Caldecott see that! Let me know if you need some of the super-safe cling wrap I'm going to buy. PS--you're hot before and after laser surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo... maybe you and I should zap our Chocolate Milk Mustaches, Saf?! Call me when you've got the "Clean Cling"!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
DreamHost review